PC Engines has announced a new embedded mainboard series, this alone was sufficient reason for me (again) to build a home router based on this piece of hardware.
Months ago I heard about a successor project of m0n0wall, it is based on FreeBSD 10.1 and was my choice to be the software part.
- APU2B4 Mainboard (get the distributor list from PCenginges.ch)
- get also the suitable case and a power supply
- USB Stick to flash the bios and operating system (I used this one)
- mSata SSD as a main drive (Used: Transcend MSA370 32GB)
- Serial cable for the console
- USB to serial adapter
- Download the latest OPNSense image from https://opnsense.org/
- Download the necessary BIOS update from PCengines
Now you can remove the USB stick and reboot. You can open the web interface with http://192.168.1.1
Initial login: root
Initial password: opnsense
We still have two free mini PCIE slots which can be used for e.g. a WiFi module.
Have fun with a very adjustable, open and powerful router/firewall/access point solution.